No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Assessing The Exodus Of Big Fights To Saudi Arabia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Assessing The Exodus Of Big Fights To Saudi Arabia

Boxing's traditional arenas - in Las Vegas, London, etc. - are now darker more often because of the emergence of major fight cards in Saudi Arabia.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Western promoters don't want to put the money up or risk the money

So someone else has come along and take it away from them
    landotter landotter likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by CasperUK View Post
      Western promoters don't want to put the money up or risk the money

So someone else has come along and take it away from them
      It is a business. I don't know if the Saudis are getting returns on it since they don't even promote it that much. The want to be the hub of the world when it comes to professional sports so they are probably making the early investment.

Comment

Choo know bout dat bidness doe

Comment

Algieri and Malinaggi are paid to say that all this is great! Watching fights on your phone. But the reality is that if boxing needs sport washing from oil rich douchbags who know shiat about the sport, then the situation is worse than anyone thought.

Comment

Originally posted by steeve steel View Post
            Algieri and Malinaggi are paid to say that all this is great! Watching fights on your phone. But the reality is that if boxing needs sport washing from oil rich douchbags who know shiat about the sport, then the situation is worse than anyone thought.
            Because a fight happens in Saudi you have to watch it on a phone? What?

Boxing has always been run by rich douchebags, at least this one is making the fights people want.

Comment

The Saudi fund was created as propaganda to improve the image of the country. There is no expectation of making any profits and they have billions to spend.

The events don’t need to have any kind of live gate or PPV buy floor to make money as they don’t care about any return. While on the surface it can mean fights can get made the fans want I am still weary of getting into business with SA.

There is a lot of talk they could next target the NBA or NFL and try and buy into a franchise. Thats a slippery slope.
              steeve steel steeve steel likes this.

Comment

It’s good that we’re getting better cards.

But it’s bad that Saudi Arabia has a tyrannical regime.

And I’m aware that the American government isn’t squeaky clean either…that still doesn’t mean you look the other way from Saudi injustices just because they have money to throw around.

steeve steel steeve steel likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
                  The Saudi fund was created as propaganda to improve the image of the country. There is no expectation of making any profits and they have billions to spend.

The events don’t need to have any kind of live gate or PPV buy floor to make money as they don’t care about any return. While on the surface it can mean fights can get made the fans want I am still weary of getting into business with SA.

There is a lot of talk they could next target the NBA or NFL and try and buy into a franchise. Thats a slippery slope.
                  I worry more about the NBA than the NFL. There is a level of "we do not need anyone" with the NFL, who prints money, does not need to reveal to the public their actual profits, and are building overseas revenue without outside help. The NBA is shakier. Very much an international game, ratings are slumping in the US, and the profit margins are good but not trending in the right direction. I am even WAY more worried about the NHL. They are trending behind soccer. That sports league is solid, but is very much regional, firmly an afterthought nationally.

Boxing is not a sport of unity. The promotions, sanctioning bodies, networks, and boxers themselves are all trying to jockey for money and the best names. I see this as a deep pocketed country that needs good press for what they are trying to build and a sport in dire need of focus. It works, at least short term. Team sports and franchising is a different animal, and while Saudi hosting games would be fine, them and their horrid human rights track record getting an actual team in their name would be tragic. Long winded way of agreeing with you. This could be a slippery slope indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    It’s good that we’re getting better cards.

But it’s bad that Saudi Arabia has a tyrannical regime.

And I’m aware that the American government isn’t squeaky clean either…that still doesn’t mean you look the other way from Saudi injustices just because they have money to throw around.
                    Oh, honey...

All jokes aside though, it all just is what it is so I'll take high quality cards over hidden-agenda hypocrisy & enforced regime change any day lol.

It's like the old rap song says: "handle your business before your business handles you".

Comment

Working...
                    X